How to Plant Your Thuja Green Giant Trees
- Dig a hole about 2 inches wider and deeper than rootball of your plant.
- Place plant in hole a fill in with soil. Adding potting soil and organic compost or fine mulch may be mixed in to fill the hole.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of lime around the drip line of the tree.
- Water until soil is saturated; then gently apply pressure around the tree to firm the soil.
- Carefully follow fertilizer instructions below.
- Lightly mulch around the tree.
Fertilizing the Thuja Green Giant Tree
Use a slow release fertilizer with the numbers 14-7-7. This is also sold as Azalea Food. If you cannot find 14-7-7, find a slow release fertilizer with less than 19% of Nitrogen and half the amount of phosphates and Soluble Potash.
Fertilize your plants 3 times a year around March 31, June 30, and September 30.
Sprinkle the fertilizer around the drip line of the tree (DO NOT MIX IN SOIL):
|2.5″ Potted Tree||1 TEASPOON|
|1 Gallon Tree||2 TEASPOONS|
|3 Gallon Tree||3 TEASPOONS|
Mature Width (ft): 10
Scientific Name: Thuja (standishii x plicata) ‘Green Giant’
Growth Rate: 2-3 feet per year.
Light Needed: Partial to Full
Recommended Spacing: 5 Feet
Recommended Zone 5, 6, 7, 8, 9